2019 SA Sheep Expo Program - Focusing on the 'Lamb'
An interactive 3-day program is prepared by the SA Sheep Expo Committee. The program includes hands-on sessions, demonstrations and presentations from leading industry experts. Each year a focus is given to a key topic of the industry, be it ewes, rams, or lambs, with technologies incorporated into each years theme. Both wool and meat facets of the sheep industry are then represented in the program, with a range of sessions delivered by reputable industry specialists.
An example of program topics that were covered in the 2018 'ram' program were:
- Wool - On Farm (Shearing, Wool Classing & Handling) & Off Farm (Processing, Marketing etc)
- Biosecurity & Animal Health
- Animal Assessment & Animal Handling (Young Judges)
- Commercial Ram Selection
- Semen Quality and Assessment
- Genomics - Learning ASBV's
- Ram Select Workshops
- Farmers Challenge
- Sheep Handling
- Breed Societies and the different sheep breeds
- Industry, Education, Careers and Pathways
Participants compete in age groups to maximise learning outcomes with major incentives being a study tour to the New Zealand and sponsored education bursaries for seniors, as well as other prizes for each age group.
The SA Sheep Expo is coordinated by an enthusiastic and passionate organising committee comprising of a number of stud and commercial sheep producers and industry people who have a depth of knowledge in the sheep and livestock industry.